Welcome to my fifth i7-3930K series of CPU block tests, the Swiftech Apogee HD. This is Swiftech’s successor to the Apogee XT Rev2 sporting the same premium prescribed pressure and minimal loose parts mounting system in an all new top with multiple port outlets and completely redesigned base. This new model promises an increase in thermal performance, reduced restriction, lower cost, and black, white, or gold plated (Limited Edition) brass tops.
This sample was sponsored by Gabe from Swiftech, thanks!
ap.o.gee: The farthest or highest point; the apex; a final climactic stageThe Apogee™ HD is Swiftech’s new flagship CPU waterblock. Close to 18 months in the making, it was designed to surpass its predecessor the Apogee™ XT in all critical areas:
- Improved thermal performance with emphasis on Intel® and AMD® latest and upcoming processors: the HD is Socket LGA2011 (Intel®) and “Bulldozer” (AMD®) ready.
- Reduced flow restriction compared to the Apogee XT Rev2.
- Innovative features, with the introduction of the multi-port connectivity: two more outlet ports have been added for dramatic flow rate improvements in multiple waterblock configurations and when used with the new MCRx20 Drive Rev3 radiators that now also include two additional inlet ports (3 total); read more about “Flow Parallelization” in the section below including examples and in-depth explanations.
- Improved thermal performance out of the box with the inclusion of high performance PK1 thermal compound
- Cosmetic appeal: the Apogee HD is now available in two colors, Classic black or Fashionable white to match high-end case offerings from NZXT™, Silverstone®, Thermaltake and many others.
- Reduced cost of ownership.
SUMMARY Improved Performance World’s best thermal performance based on our comparative testing, and 2ºC better than the Apogee™ XT Rev2. Low To Moderate Flow Restriction 30% lower flow restriction than the Apogee™ XT Revision 2. Exclusive Triple Outlet Port Design Ability to parallelize the flow to the graphics, chipset and/or memory waterblocks to improve overall loop performance by dramatically increasing the flow rate where it matters most: in the radiator and CPU waterblock. This exclusive feature can be easily activated when the block is used in conjunction with the new MCRx20 Drive Rev3 radiators that now also include 3 inlet ports.Another benefit of such setup is that it is now possible to use reduced tubing size for the devices installed in parallel without unduly taxing the pump, resulting in less clutter, and easier tube routing in cramped spaces. Compression Fittings Compatibility Chart
With 3/4″ Tube OD fittings Max 3/8″ tube OD fittings With 5/8″ Tube OD fittings Max 1/2″ Tube OD fittings Fine-tuned Retention Mechanism, with universal Desktop Processor Compatibility Swiftech’s retention mechanism is widely recognized as the simplest and safest to use. It has been further enhanced with added attention to details and quality, such as hollowed thumb screws, and improved back-plate fabrication.
- Adjustable screws provide compatibility with all Intel Desktop Processors:
- Socket 1155, 1156, and 1366 (back-plate included)
- Socket 775 (not included, mailed free of charge upon request)
- Socket 2011 spring-screw kit is included!
- An elegant Multi-mount hold-down plate provides compatibility with all AMD Desktop processors: sockets 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM3, 770, F, FM1, as well as legacy Intel Server socket 771 processors. The kit is not included with the Apogee HD, but supplied for free (shipping not included), upon request.
Available in Black or White The Classic All Black will give any system the high-tech look you are looking for, or the fashionable white combined with the new MCW82, Bridges, and MCP35x pump top (also available in white) will allow you to build elegant and distinctive systems. Shipped with High Performance Thermal Compound The Apogee™ HD ships with PK1 thermal compound highly rated by enthusiast users and reviewers (and confirmed by in-house testing) for its excellent thermal performance and ease of application. Lower Cost More affordable than the Apogee™ XT and other top Performing Blocks on the market (the HD also includes 1/2″ fittings and clamps, whereas many of our competitors do not).