While I have been a barb and clamp fan for some time now, water cooling has evolved into building artwork just as much as it is for high performance cooling. Several variations of compression fittings have hit the market over the last few years and I’ve tinkered with many of them. One complaint I have personally had with many of the compression fittings out there is the “Tool-less” concept. Many of the fittings out there are intended to be hand or finger tightened, but unfortunately this does often result in partial loss of your valuable fragging fingertips. One way to mitigate for the lack of tool compatibility is to use a cloth or other protective wrap and use something like vise grips or channel locks as a last resort attempt at converting the “tool-less” knurled compression ring into something you can wrench on. My other complaint with some compression fittings I’ve used is their lack of internal barb which has led me down the path of leaks as the tubing warmed up and began to slip out of the fitting. Regardless of the troubles I have personally had, there is no denying that compression fittings look more clean and finished that a regular barb and clamp. BoxGods being a professional PC mod enthusiast and builder set out to break new ground in the area of compression fittings that would not only improve many of the user problems with existing fittings, but also to jazz up the mundane knurled look via the “Free Center” compression fitting which I’m looking at here.
A special thanks to BoxGods (Gene) for sending me these samples. First he sent me a set of black chrome I spent extensive time using, and then these limited edition copper flavor to compliment my future copper build.
Tired of big ugly wrench flats on your compression fittings or tearing up your finger tips on knurling? Then Monsoon’s sexy new Free Center Compression Fittings are just what you’re looking for. The new patent pending Free Center Wrench design used to tighten the barb and the compression ring is perfect for tight spaces because it puts the wrench above the fitting plane giving you more room to maneuver than a conventional wrench. The small wrench notches on the compression ring are also a lot less noticeable than big ugly wrench flats or knurling on the side of a fitting which is normally the most visible portion when installed.
The patent pending windows on the compression ring reduce weight and add some BLING to your rig by allowing the tube to show through and, in a pinch, provide extra grip if you need to use your fingers. The barb base also features a knurled surface to help the barb grip when installed.
Outer Diameter (A): 3/4″
Wall Thickness (B): 1/8″
Inner Diameter (C): 1/2″
- Barb and compression ring machined entirely from brass.
- The Free Center Wrench works on the barb and the compression ring for hassle free installation without tearing up your fingers. Don’t be a tool!
- Although we highly recommend using the Free Center Wrench, the barb can also be tightened with any coin 1.6mm thick and approximately 25mm in diameter—about the size of a US Quarter, and the machined windows on the compression ring can also be used to provide grip for finger tightening.
- Smaller visually and physically to make mounting in tight locations like CPU blocks easier. Outside diameter is just 24.4mm (.96 inches) and total height is just 16mm (.63 inches).
- Knurled base on the barb to increase its grab when installed.
- Available in 8 colors and finishes.
- Includes a black O ring AND a color matched UV O ring—your choice. (Chrome, Matte Black, and Black Chrome get a second black O ring.
- Available in singles or in money saving SIX PACKS that also include a free Free Center Wrench!
Tubing Size: 1/2″ Inner diameter
3/4″ Outer Diameter
Included: Six Barbs with radial cut notch for use with a Free Center Wrench or a coin.
Six Compression rings with Patent Pending Side Windows and Free Center Wrench Notches.
Six black 2.4mm thick high quality silicone G1/4 BSPP O rings.
Six color matched UV 2.4mm thick high quality G1/4 BSPP O rings. (Additional O rings or different colors can be purchased separately in 10 packs).
One Free Center Compression Fitting Wrench.